Challenging The Heavens (Act I and Act II )


Rhythm To The Madness is:
Klaas Voets - vocals, lyrics
Wim Berchmans - lead guitar, rhythm guitar
Cedric Goetgebuer - lead guitar, rhythm guitar
Lennart Bossu - lead guitar, rhythm guitar
Hans Degryse - bass guitar
Daan Plasmeijer - drums
Gert Jacobs - drums

Challenging The Heavens was recorded and mixed by Kris Belaen on May 21st 2010 at CCR Studios. All musical arrangements by Rhythm To The Madness. All lyrics by Klaas Voets. Cedric Goegebuer appears courtesy of Deathwish Inc. Layout by Kevin Apetown, concept by Klaas Voets.



CHALLENGING THE HEAVENS
ACT I - SOUL COLLISION

(lead Berchmans)
(lead Bossu)


In the emptiest of the night
I woke up in hell’s waiting room,
as life’s claws clenched my throat tight,
choked by an ever-awaiting doom.
Like a blow to my head,
unleashing fear and rage:
all of my brakes went dead,
as I swung into the violent age.

So I wandered around this city
when Night had laid it dead.
Until Sleep left the streets
and Day roared its ugly head.
And as I looked around to see if my season has turned,
I only found myself surrounded by bridges burned.

Fought 27 years to reverse the curse,
hit rock bottom yet all kept getting worse.
And wishing, asking or praying for better
only left me feeling/feeding like a beggar

These impatient winds of change,
they are looking for souls to swallow.
Like the breath from a plague,
leaving crest and crown hollow.

I’ve been alive in the grave,
been dodging guilt like arrows.
All I ever had I gave,
as my casket narrowed.

All-eating shame and thriftless praise,
with this fading breath I admit it:
I write to set the world ablaze
and to violently burn with it!

(lead Goetgebuer)

ACT II - SPIRIT CONVICTION

There's no doubt in my mind:
this world is the wrong place to do right.
See the blind bleeding the blind,
smile with bitter bile in their bite.
And all the while they’re just doing their time…
You and I, we will never be alike.
Because I try and I fight and I strive
to live and not just stay alive.

Wronged souls approaching with a prayer or a curse.
I was born to watch my own kind get crushed,
while all I wanted is to sleep the sleep of the just…
Mindwar.
Mindwar.

Meanwhile we float on rivers of sin
looking for something to believe in.
But you're looking around, while I look inside:
I was taught fist-fed lessons in life.
So I built a mind and a body so strong,
to fight my demons, to see right from wrong.
To take the punches from a world in which I don’t belong,
 so this strife will prove to be lifelong.

Wronged souls approaching with a prayer or a curse.
I was born to watch my own kind get crushed,
while all I wanted is to sleep the sleep of the just…
Mindwar.
Mindwar.
Mindwar.
Mindwar.
My war…

Comments